top of page

Is Peracetic Acid A Better Cleaning Agent Than Hydrogen Peroxide


Chemical disinfectants are substances that are used to kill or inactivate harmful microorganisms, such as bacteria, viruses, and fungi, on surfaces and objects.


They are commonly used in the cleaning and disinfection of surfaces in industrial, healthcare, and domestic settings. It is also used in food processing facilities and other places with a risk of contamination by harmful microorganisms.

There are many different types of chemical disinfectants available, including quaternary ammonium compounds, chlorine compounds, acids, alcohols, and hydrogen peroxide. Each disinfectant has specific properties and is effective against particular dirt, debris, or microorganisms.


However, peracetic acid has a unique advantage to it. It safely enhances the removal of grime without leaving any stains or residue. The highly biocidal oxidizer is a highly efficient cleaner used in numerous applications.

What Is Peracetic Acid?

Peracetic acid is a potent oxidizing agent and disinfectant. The colorless liquid has a vinegar-like smell and is often used as an alternative to chlorine or other disinfectants in various applications.

Peracetic acid is effective as a killing agent for many bacteria, microorganisms, viruses, fungi, and spores. It is also highly effective at breaking down organic matter, making it useful for cleaning and sanitizing surfaces and equipment.

It is commonly used in the food and beverage industry for sanitizing equipment and surfaces. It is an effective alternative for water treatment too. It is used to disinfect water and get rid of impurities. It is also used in the medical field for sterilization and the pharmaceutical industry for producing drugs and other products.

Peracetic acid is a powerful and effective disinfectant, but it can be toxic if ingested or inhaled in high concentrations. It can also irritate the skin, eyes, and respiratory tract, so it is essential to handle and use it carefully and by the manufacturer's instructions and any relevant safety regulations.


Why is Peracetic Acid a Better Alternative?


●Peracetic acid (also known as peracetic acid or PAA) is a potent oxidizing agent often used as a disinfectant and sterilizing agent. It is a preferable alternative to hydrogen peroxide because it is more stable and has a longer shelf life.


●One of the main advantages of peracetic acid over hydrogen peroxide is that it is more effective at killing bacteria, viruses, and fungi. This is because peracetic acid can penetrate cell walls more effectively than hydrogen peroxide, which allows it to kill microorganisms more effectively.


●In addition to its effectiveness as a disinfectant, peracetic acid is less corrosive than hydrogen peroxide. This makes it a safer choice for use on certain surfaces and materials.


●However, it is essential to note that peracetic acid is a strong chemical and can be hazardous if not used properly. It is vital to follow the manufacturer's instructions and take appropriate safety precautions when using this chemical.


Bottom Line


To use chemical disinfectants like paracetic acid effectively, it is essential to clean the surface or object first to eliminate debris that could interfere with the disinfectant.


The surface should then be thoroughly wetted with the disinfectant and soaked for the recommended time frame that the disinfectant needs to be in contact with for compelling results.


After the contact time has elapsed, the surface should be rinsed or wiped dry, depending on the disinfectant and the surface being treated.

It is also imperative to handle chemical disinfectants with care, as they can be toxic if ingested or inhaled or if they come into contact with the skin or eyes.


Proper protective gear, such as gloves and goggles, should be worn when using disinfectants, and the area being treated should be well-ventilated to reduce the risk of inhaling fumes.


It is vital to use the proper disinfectant for the intended purpose and to follow the manufacturer's instructions, as some disinfectants can be hazardous if misused.

39 views0 comments

Comments


bottom of page